Chicken and Chicpeas Curry
- Large Pot
- 1 kg chicken (pieces )
- 500 gms chickpeas ((approximately 2 tins))
- 1 onion (medium sized, chopped )
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- ½ tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp coriander poweder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- salt (to taste)
- vegetable oil (for cooking)
- fresh coriander (for garnish)
- whole green chillies (for garnish)
- Heat up oil, add chopped onions and fry till they are golden brown
- Add garlic and ginger paste and fry together for a couple of minutes
- Drain the chickpeas from the tin and run them through water
- Add chicken and fry for a few minutes
- Add chilli, salt, and coriander powder. Add some water and cook together till oil is released.
- Add the tinned chickpeas to the mixture and some water. Cook for a about 5 minutes or so. Make sure to add enough water so that you end up with a gravy but not to much that the dish is watery.
- Check to see that the chicken is completely cooked through
- Dish out and garnish with fresh coriander leaves and whole chillies
- If using dry chickpeas and not tinned ones, make sure to soak them for 24 hours before cooking.
- If using dry chickpeas, add them when the chicken is only half cooked. Then add some water and cook the two together till the chicken is cooked and chickpeas are completely soft. Add enough water when cooking to end up with a gravy-like mixture.
- Serve with rice or naan or roti (flat bread).