This is an amazing Chicken Provencal with Olives and Capers recipe, which is quick to make and can be served with bread or rice. You can also add tomatoes or any other vegetable that you fancy. The easiest thing to do is to get dried French herbs or alternatively you can use fresh or dried basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram, tarragon and lavender. You can use any crisp white wine. I like to use Chardonnay.
This recipe uses four chicken thighs for two people and the rest of the ingredients are according to that. If you want to increase the serving size just increase the ingredients too.
It goes very well with bread but you can also serve with rice or even couscous. Lovely for those cold winter evenings.
- 1 Skillet
- 1 Oven proof dish
- 4 pieces Chicken thighs (Skin on)
- 1 Onion (Cut into quarters)
- 2 tbsp Capers
- 3 tbsp Green Olives
- 1 Lemon (Cut into quarters)
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 cup White wine (200 ml)
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp French herbs (Or you can separately add basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram. Instead of marjoram I added tarragon. )
- Salt and pepper (To taste )
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Put oil in the skillet and place the chicken thighs, skin side down. Fry till brown and skin has rendered (around 8 to 10 minutes). Turn the thighs over and fry on the other side for a few minutes.
- Put the chicken thighs in the over proof dish, skin side up
- Add the juices from the skillet.
- Add white wine, herbs, quarterd onions (or you can use shallots), olives, capers, quartered lemon and garlic cloves. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Place in the centre of a pre-heated oven (200 C or app 400 F) for one hour.
- Remove from oven after one hour and cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve with sour dough or french bread.