Easy to Make Challah Bread
- Mixing bowl
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- 1 cup water (luke warm)
- 2 tsp yeast (active dry or instant)
- 4 cups flour (all purpose or bread flour)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sugar (granulated)
- 2 eggs (large)
- 1 egg yolk (save the egg white for the egg wash)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (you can substitute melted butter )
- Mix the yeast in water and a pinch of sugar. Stand for 5 to 10 minutes till froth appears on top.
- Mix flour, salt and sugar in a mixer or by hand.
- Make a well at the center of the dry ingredient mix and add eggs, yolk and oil. Whisk to form a slurry.
- Pour the yeast mixture into the slurry and mix with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to make a dough. Knead the dough for 6-8 minutes in mixer or 10 minutes by hand till it can form and hold a ball shape.
- Place the dough in a warm area for 11/2 to 2 hours till it rises and doubles
- Divide the dough into 3 pieces and roll into ropes. Gather and squeeze the ropes together at the top and braid together.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, place the loaf in it and sprinkle with flour. Cover with towel, and rest for 1 hour, till it has risen.
- Brush the dough with a mixture of egg-white& water. Pre-heat the oven 350F (175C)
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown. Cool the challah.